Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What Changes?

Two nights ago, I had a dream where my dad announced to the family that he was leaving my mom.  Then he promptly stormed out of the house, taking nearly everything with him.  In real life, my parents have been married for over 40 years.  I literally have no idea how "happily" they've been married, since we're not very close and those kind of topics have never come up, but they are still married.

Last night, something else (probably on the television) sparked the topic of divorce in a conversation with Scott, the very handsome man who I introduced in my last post.  We talked about the scary fact that at least half of all people who get married will also get divorced.  We discussed the un-fixable problems that come about only after saying "I do."  We talked about how to protect ourselves from these by continuing the incredible honesty and trust that we have with each other.
And then we questioned--how do these people not know?  How do they not see/ignore the problems before getting married?  How does this happen to so many unsuspecting couples?  We both admitted that at this point, we don't imagine anything other than being very happily married until one or both of us dies.  But most everyone must feel like this before they get married.  What changes?

If anyone has experience with divorce and has any clues for us, we're very curious.  In fact, so curious, that I may explore marital counseling as a career option.

No comments:

Post a Comment